Chemical reaction leaves 1 dead, several ill at Buffalo Wild Wings

Share

First responders found a male employee outside the restaurant suffering with nausea after inhaling the fumes, Patterson said. Unbeknownst to the employee, an acid-based cleaning agent had previously spilled in the area where he was using the Super 8, according to Patterson.

A second victim has been taken to Lowell Hospital by Armstrong Ambulance and at least nine other people who were exposed to the fumes, have driven themselves into the hospital, Patterson said.

He tried to get the chemical out of the building after another employee who had mixed the substances had fallen ill, Patterson added. He was transported to a hospital, where he died.

A preliminary investigation showed the trouble began when an employee applied two substances, Super 8 and Scale Kleen, to the kitchen floor while attempting to clean it, the Burlington Fire Department said Friday.

Officials ordered an evacuation at the restaurant around 6 p.m., and investigators had to go into the building wearing hazmat suits. "For some reason tonight, there was just a reaction that led to this".

Naperville police said Thursday there is no evidence of a hate crime in the racial incident that took place at the Buffalo Wild Wings last month. Police advised anyone who thought they could have been exposed to the chemical reaction to seek medical treatment.

More news: People just received messages originally sent on Valentine's Day
More news: Manchester United win 'template' for future performances - Solskjaer
More news: 'E.T.' star Henry Thomas arrested for DUII in Oregon

Emergency services evacuated and ventilated the restaurant before a state hazardous materials team arrived to neutralize the area. When the worker inadvertently mixed the two products with a push broom, the mixture turned green and bubbled, becoming a risky toxic substance, Patterson says. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has also been notified.

They were being treated with oxygen, and none of them was believed to be in serious condition, according to Patterson.

"This is a product we have been told is a common product for floor cleaning".

"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation", the restaurant chain said in its statement.

"Because the investigation is ongoing, we are unable to share any additional comment at this time", the statement continued.

Share