North Korea slams Europeans over criticism of missile test

Share

North Korea past year suspended nuclear and long-range missile tests, partially dismantled its long-range rocket test site and dismantled its only known underground nuclear testing site.

South Korea said Thursday it's unclear if North Korea will allow a live broadcast when it hosts the South's national soccer team for a World Cup qualifier in Pyongyang next Tuesday.

The European U.N. ambassadors also condemned North Korea's latest ballistic missile test as a violation of Security Council resolutions.

Pyongyang fired a sea-launched missile on October 2 in the latest - and most provocative - of a series of weapons tests, just days before long-stalled US-North Korean nuclear talks were to resume in Sweden.

The United States and North Korea held a working-level meeting last week to resume their denuclearization negotiations after months of a stalemate, but the talks broke off again with the North accusing the US of failing to come up with a new proposal.

An try to resume stalled denuclearisation talks between america and North Korea collapsed in Stockholm on Saturday.

"The reality urges the DPRK to reconsider crucial preemptive measures taken by it for the building confidence in the US", it added.

More news: How to clean install Catalina MacOS 10.15 on your Mac
More news: Messi: It is a lie I did not want Griezmann at Barca
More news: Turkey bombs Syria: Erdogan begins 'Operation Peace Spring'

The spokesman did not elaborate on what pre-emptive steps he was referring to, but North Korean state media and officials have referred to the halting of nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests, and the return of remains of U.S. soldiers killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War, as good-faith gestures to the United States, which it says have not been reciprocated.

Some observers say North Korea's threat may be a tactic to pressure the USA into making concessions as a restart of nuclear and long-range missile tests would likely derail negotiations, deepen its worldwide isolation and further dim prospects for rebuilding its moribund economy.

North Korea stormed out of working-level nuclear talks last week, accusing the US of not bringing any new ideas to help break the monthslong deadlock.

The KCNA statement, attributed to a Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesperson, called that United Nations meeting a "severe provocation".

Those negotiations - which many observers expected would see the two sides begin to make progress towards a nuclear deal - instead ended in acrimony, with the DPRK side accusing the USA of coming to the talks "empty-handed".

North Korea has said such a follow-up meeting is not likely.

It referred to a US test this month of a Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile, which it called an effort to exert pressure on North Korea. "Pyongyang seems to be laying the groundwork for justifying its own escalated military action in the future".

Share