Murray to make Grand Slam return at Aussie Open

Share

Last week, he reached the quarterfinals of the China Open where he lost to Dominic Thiem in Beijing.

The three-time grand slam champion - once considered part of tennis' "Big Four" alongside Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic - returned to the professional circuit in June, initially only competing in doubles.

In January, ahead of the Australian Open, a tearful Murray had given an emotional press conference announcing that he might have to retire because of long-term injuries.

The former world No 1 was knocked out in the first round in Melbourne past year, having said it could be his last appearance at the tournament.

The official Australian Open website said Murray "would return to the main draw with a protected ranking of number two and restored physical powers". "I was on the phone to his agent this morning".

"After having that for let's say five or six years and it getting gradually worse over time, I couldn't really remember what it was like not being in pain".

More news: OECD floats sending tech tax proceeds to countries where revenues are generated
More news: Hays Travel Purchases Empty Thomas Cook Shops
More news: Turkish forces launch military attack against Kurds at Syrian border

"For sure Andy will be here", Tiley told Melbourne radio station Triple M on Tuesday.

He skipped the US Open in favor of the Rafa Nadal Open on the second-tier Challenger Tour where he won his first singles match since the surgery.

"I wish him that, it's great to see him back".

"In the beginning I didn't necessarily feel good, but last couple of weeks have been I think much improved", he said.

It also may be enough to get him a seeding - although that is not guarenteed - meaning Murray would be able to ease himself in without facing any top players in the first couple of rounds.

But now, following career-saving hip resurfacing surgery in January, the 32-year-old is set to make a comeback to the pinnacle of the sport.

Share