The woman, whose name has been withheld, was said by health officials to have had a history of health issues but her rapid decline prior to her untimely death was most likely caused by her use of e-cigarettes.
Bloomberg isn't the only one taking action, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently announced that the state's health department is issuing subpoenas to three e-cigarette companies, Honey Cut Diluting Agent by Honey Cut Labs LLC in Santa Monica, California; Uber Thick by Floraplex Terpenes in Ypsilanti, Michigan, and Pure Diluent by Mass Terpenes in Amherst, Massachusetts.
At the time the Illinois Department of Public Health reported that a total of 22 people, ranging in age from 17-38 years, have experienced respiratory illness after using e-cigarettes or vaping.
The health impact of vaping is becoming apparent after only a few years of use.More news: All Blacks amass 92 points in final World Cup warm-up game
More news: Australia and United States top second round groups at FIBA World Cup
More news: Rishi Kapoor heads home after treatment in NY
The patients reported using e-cigarette devices in the weeks and months before they were hospitalized. As many as five cases nationwide have ended in death.
Meanwhile, people who are trying to quit smoking cigarettes, they should use alternative treatments, the CDC noted. "Health officials are working hard to determine a cause and share information to prevent additional injuries".
The letter also asked clinicians to report vaping cases to the health department. "As that work continues, I urge Kansans to be careful".
People should consider refraining from e-cigarette products while the investigation is ongoing, according to CDC. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, feve, and weight loss. "Don't put yourself in harm's way, and please follow the recommendations of public health officials".
The Jefferson County Health Department has reported a Jefferson County man in his 20s has become the first local person to be diagnosed with a severe lung illness that has been associated with vaping, or e-cigarettes. "In addition to nicotine, the aerosol users inhale and exhale from vaping can potentially expose them to other harmful substances, including heavy metals, volatile organic compounds and ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deeply into the lungs".