North Korea again tests 'super-large' rocket launcher: KCNA

Share

Kim, military leaders and top officials "in the field of national defense science" saw two rounds of test fire Tuesday of "tactical guided weapons including super-large multiple rocket launcher", the official Korean Central News Agency said a day after the launches.

Although US President Donald Trump has played down previous tests this year, saying he did not believe short-range missiles violated any agreements, his now-ousted national security adviser John Bolton had said that even short-range launches by North Korea are banned under United Nations resolutions.

Joe Scarborough expressed shock and amazement that President Donald Trump's oval office comments from Wednesday in which he seemed to take sides with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un over his own, now-former, National Security Advisor John Bolton.

The projectiles were fired from South Pyongan Province, which surrounds the capital city of Pyongyang, and landed in the waters off North Korea's east coast, South Korean officials said.

The test appeared to be of 600 mm caliber multiple-launch rocket system that North Korea first introduced last month, said Ankit Panda, an adjunct senior fellow at the Federation of American Scientists. This suggests North Korea is trying to maintain the momentum for dialogue with the United States, experts say.

Last month, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho called his USA counterpart, Mike Pompeo, "the diehard toxin of the US diplomacy" for suggesting that all sanctions on the North would remain in place until the North's denuclearization.

More news: Opposition politicians attack Boris Johnson for Facebook question time while ignoring parliament
More news: Team USA loses to France, exits FIBA World Cup without a medal
More news: Nigeria set to evacuate nationals from South Africa

Choe's statement was apparently aimed at pressuring the United States to make concessions when the North Korea-U.S. talks restart.

Most of North Korea's recent tests since May have been of a new missile known as the KN-23, which weapons experts said can deliver a nuclear warhead to all of South Korea and parts of Japan and is created to evade US missile interceptors.

Little progress has been made in getting Kim to give up his weapons programs, but Trump has repeatedly pointed to North Korea's freeze in nuclear and long-range missile tests since 2017 as evidence of the success of his efforts.

In a statement issued in late August, Vice Foreign Minister Choe said that expectations of dialogue with the US are "gradually disappearing".

Kim and Trump met again at the Korean border in late June and agreed to restart diplomacy, but there have no public meetings between the sides since then.

Three of them were shown to have been uncovered after the launch, while the remaining tube was blocked. raising speculations that one of the launches could have been a misfire. gone undetected by the South Korean military.

Share