Police Reveal Cause Of Death Of Canadian Teen Killers


RCMP also confirmed two firearms were found with the bodies of McLeod and Schmegselsky.

However, he said it's believed the bodies are those of the suspects.

Investigators are continuing their assessment of all evidence found in Manitoba as well as findings from northern B.C.in order to determine what happened to all three victims.

A police statement said their deaths appeared to be suicide.

A police helicopter initially spotted a damaged boat along the Nelson River last week and a follow-up search in the area uncovered the items directly linked to the two in what MacLatchy described as "very tough terrain".

Schmegelsky and McLeod were wanted in connection with three homicides in northern B.C. and evaded capture until the bodies were found last week.

Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, were wanted for more than three weeks after murdering the 23-year-old Australian, his American girlfriend Chynna Deese and local scientist Leonard Dyck. 64-year-old Leonard Dyck's body was discovered four days later.

More news: Malaysian special forces unit joins search for missing London teen
More news: Mohamed Salah scores and assists in Liverpool's Premier League opener
More news: Fire at United States day care center kills five children

Alan Schmegelsky, father of Bryer, spoke to Australia's 60 Minutes about his self-published book, Red Flagged, which explains his son's upbringing and mental health.

Police said last week the Dyck and Deese-Fowler homicides were related.

Police say once their review is complete officers will share the findings with the families prior to releasing any information publicly.

"While both individuals were deceased for a number of days before they were found, the exact time and date of their deaths are not known", reads an RCMP press release distributed today, August 12. They release composite sketches of a man seen speaking with the couple on the highway where they were found dead and a sketch of the unidentified man found dead near the burned truck.

Initially, the pair were reported missing themselves after their auto was found torched in British Columbia province, but police then discovered the third body, and the teens were named as formal suspects. And then five days later, they found two bodies just a kilometre from the riverbank and eight kilometres from the SUV.

"There may never be enough information to adequately answer all of their questions, but our council remains committed to supporting the RCMP as they complete their investigation into what led to this tragic series of events", Mayor Sharie Minions said.

On the weekend the RCMP told reporters they had found another "item" and were attempting to discern its importance to the investigation - again, police didn't say what the item was.