Fortnite world champ 'swatted' at Pennsylvania home


Kotaku reports that Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf was streaming a Fortnite game late Sunday when he abruptly left his desk and abandoned the game with the livestream still running.

"Swatting" is a criminal harassment tactic where someone reports a false emergency to get authorities, particularly a SWAT team, to descend on an unsuspecting target.

Police headed to the Giersdorf home and surrounded it. Werner said it's procedure to then call into the home.

Once he returns, Kyle said: "They come in with guns, bro. They literally pulled up", Giersdorf said when asked about what happened. "He said he tied up his mother in the garage and he shot him up and down his body".

Not all swatting victims are so fortunate, as U.S. police are heavily armed, increasingly all-out militarized, and often all too willing to fire.

More news: Argentines lose patience with economy and Macri
More news: Liverpool confirm intention to bring in goalkeeper Andy Lonergan
More news: Hong Kong cancels all remaining flights as 5,000 protesters occupy airport

In March, a California man was sentenced to 20 years in prison for making bogus emergency calls to authorities across the US, including one that led police to fatally shoot a Kansas man following a dispute between two online players over a $1.50 bet in the Call of Duty: WWII video game. "That's scary. The internet's f-- insane".

Giersdorf, aka Bugha, was in the middle of livestreaming a game of "Fortnite" on streaming platform Twitch when he told his followers he had been "swatted".

However, in April a gamer was sentenced to 20 years in jail for making a swatting call that led to an innocent man being killed. When police called, Giersdorf's father answered the phone, then came out the front door. "Giersdorf, of Pottsgrove, Pa. who goes by the name "Bugha" when competing, racked up the most points and won $3 million as the first Fortnite World Cup solo champion.

After a row over Call of Duty in December 2017, Tyler Barriss told the police that he was holding his family hostage, and gave them an address in Kansas.