Family Tragedy: Mother Loses Four Children In Daycare Fire

Share

Three of the five children who died in a Pennsylvania day care center fire were the kids of a local volunteer firefighter who was battling a separate blaze just blocks away, according to officials. The fire was reported in the wee hours of Sunday morning, already blazing out of every first floor window.

Five children, ranging in age from 8 months to 7 years old, were killed in the blaze.

First responders at the scene of a deadly day care center fire in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Sun., Aug. 11, 2019.

"We offer our deepest sympathies to all effected by this terrible tragedy and we keep the survivors in our thoughts and prayers", officials from the Erie Fire Department wrote on Facebook.

Two teens, ages 12 and 15, escaped through a second-story porch roof, the Erie News reported.

While she could not speak to safety standards in Pennsylvania, Mattle says when you drop off your kids at any day care in NY, they are in good hands.

"So we are all at a loss, trying to figure out how this happened", Ms Lockett-Slupski told the newspaper.

More news: Hong Kong protests today
More news: Liverpool confirm intention to bring in goalkeeper Andy Lonergan
More news: Tebow's baseball season ends again with injury

"If there were the proper amount of smoke detectors in this structure, then most, if not all, would have survived", Santone told CNN.

An investigation is ongoing, but Santone said only one smoke detector was found in the home.

Erie Bureau of Fire Inspector Mark Polanski helps investigate the site of the fatal fire. But a January 3, 2019, inspection note on that listing highlighted "ashes and cigarette or cigar butts" in "a child care space, play space or food preparation area".

The childcare provider, presumably Harris, was said to have promised to 'make sure it will be cleaned up and remain that way'.

That issue was also listed as being corrected.

According to Fire Chief Guy Santone, investigators believe an "electrical overload" could have sparked the fire, because there were multiple electrical cords running under a living room couch, with many things plugged into them.

The owner of the center was flown to UPMC Mercy for treatment, officials said, and Erie police detectives said the owner was listed in stable condition.

Share