Blue-green algae takes the lives of three dogs

Share

Melissa Martin, one of the dogs' owners, said that she took the dogs to a local pond in Wilmington, North Carolina, and were having an awesome evening playing in the water. One began have a seizure in 15 minutes, and the others soon after, reports CNN. Then, when she took them home to take a bath, they began having seizures. All three dogs started experiencing liver failure, and within a few hours, the vet had to put them each down. Worse still, there is no specific antidote for blue-green algae poisoning.

"What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives ..."

By midnight on Friday, all three dogs had died, Martin said.

Blue-green algae are often described as scum floating on the water looking similar to spilled green paint or pea soup.

In an unfortunate turn of events, three dogs died on August 8 from toxic algae poisoning after swimming in infested pond waters in Wilmington, North Carolina.

"We are gutted", Martin wrote in her post.

What is an "impaired" waterway and why are there so many of them in Pennsylvania?

More news: Hur wins Ladies Scottish Open
More news: Mojang cancels Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics Pack
More news: Sydney stabbing: Watch the moment knife-wielding man is restrained by public

She said she didn't see any signs warning of toxic algae near the pond, which sits next to a popular walking trail.

Blue-green algae - cyanobacteria to the scientific community - are a massive, diverse, and ancient group of bacterial species ubiquitous in nature. She now hopes to use the donations from the GoFundMe account to make sure other pet owners are not caught off-guard.

So what is making this toxic algae bloom to such a degree?

The risk advisory will remain in place until blooms have disappeared and post-bloom tests indicate the water is within safe limits for blue-green algae.

Some algal blooms leave a film of muck on the surface and make the water ruddy, but others are hard to immediately detect, such as the blooms in the pond where Martin's dogs were exposed.

A couple from Marietta, Georgia, lost their dog, Arya, on Saturday after bringing her to a lake, where the dog swam and played ball in the water, Morgan Fleming wrote on Facebook.

-Look at the water. A number of dogs, however, have died recently after becoming exposed to toxic algae, highlighting the deadly threat posed by microscopic bacteria lurking in these waters.

Share