2nd confirmed Ebola case in Congo's city of Goma dies

Share

In this Sunday, July 14, 2019 photo, Red Cross workers carry the remains of 16-month-old Muhindo Kakinire from the morgue into a truck as health workers disinfect the area in Beni, Congo.

The Ebola outbreak was declared a "public health emergency" by the WHO on July 17.

Goma, a city of around two million people, sits on the border with Rwanda and acts as a busy transportation hub, running an global airport and overseeing around 15,000 border crossings each day.

The Nigerian health agency in charge of disease control said it has increased its surveillance and preparedness for the disease in the country.

Uganda reported last month two people had died from the virus and more than two dozen may have been exposed. The WHO's director-general said the spread of the virus in Goma, which has a highly mobile population and is located on the nation's eastern border with Rwanda, "is an event we have anticipated".

The latest victim came from the north-eastern province of Ituri but fell ill and was admitted to a health centre in Kiziba, on the outskirts of Goma, on 13 July. He had spent five days being treated at home and then went to a health facility, where Ebola was suspected.

"Establishing when he became sick will help us know his potential exposure", Ryan said, assuring that a thorough investigation is under way. Symptoms such as fever can be confused with malaria, which is endemic in the region. "Every measure has been taken to block the chain of transmission", Muyembe told AFP.

More news: Cardi B Show Canceled 30 Minutes Before Showtime Due To 'Security Threat'
More news: King of Random YouTube star Grant Thompson dies in paragliding accident
More news: Lookout for tomorrow's rare 'black' supermoon over North America

Muyembe has said there appeared to be no link between the case and the previous one in Goma that was announced two and a half weeks ago.

There have been more than 2,600 confirmed cases since the Ebola crisis, the second-largest in global history, was declared as an outbreak last August 1. "There is no need to panic", he added.

"We have already established a list of high-risk contacts and as early as [Wednesday] we will start to compile a list of contacts, and. these contacts will be vaccinated", he said.

"We're still tackling misinformation and rumours, and health workers have been attacked". The funds will among other things be used to train 500 healthcare workers in border districts and ports of entry and Dowa, Lilongwe and Blantyre districts.

There is no licensed treatment for Ebola and survival can depend on seeking treatment as quickly as possible. The disease turns the most mundane aspects of everyday life upside down - hurting local businesses, preventing children from going to school and hampering vital and routine health services.

Health officials believe the patient, a man, is not connected to the first case in Goma.

The epidemic in DR Congo is the second deadliest on record after more than 11,000 people were killed in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia between 2014-2016.

Share