Florida woman dies after reportedly contracting flesh-eating bacteria on Anna Maria Island

Share

A Pennsylvania man says his 77-year-old mother contracted a flesh-eating bacteria and died almost two weeks after she fell and scraped her leg while walking on a Florida beach. The attending lifeguard bandaged the wound and she received a tetanus shot the following day, and the seemingly insignificant event was quickly forgotten by her and her family.

Lynn Fleming was with her son and his wife two weeks ago at Coquina Beach when she contracted necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria.

Lynn Fleming was walking on the beach with Wade and his wife, Traci on June 14 when she cut her leg, according to NBC News.

A Florida woman died after contacting a flesh-eating bacteria while her family was visiting from Pittsburgh.

"It was just a small cut, didn't think much of it".

"This is the place she loved", her daughter-in-law, Traci, said.

"She didn't know that there was a small ditch there and she stumbled and hit the embankment on the other side", her son, Wade Fleming said.

But he said they became concerned when the cut continued to bleed.

More news: Hong Kong protesters storm buildings, clash with police
More news: Murray back at Wimbledon playing doubles
More news: Naomi Osaka Loses Wimbledon in First Round

She was treated at Manatee Memorial Hospital, and Fleming booked a flight back to Manatee County, talking to her as he was driving to the airport. "She couldn't wait to get down here and retire".

A CAT scan showed she had suffered strokes, he said. In just this year alone, several families have come forward after their loved ones contracted a flesh-eating bacteria.

She added that unfortunately the beach is a "place that took her life by freak accident".

Barry Briggs, from Waynesville, Ohio, was later diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, just like Fleming. "They're all over the state all the time, but you never know when they're going to bite".

More than one type of bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis, but the most common one is group A Streptococcus (group A strep), according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Necrotizing fasciitis, sometimes called flesh-eating bacteria, is a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue beneath the skin and surrounding muscles and organs.

Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacteria found in warm salty waters such as the Gulf of Mexico and surrounding bays.

Accurate diagnosis, rapid antibiotic treatment and prompt surgery are important to stopping the infection, according to the CDC, which recommends seeing a doctor right away if you have a fever, dizziness, or nausea soon after an injury, including cuts and scrapes, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds (including those due to intravenous or IV drug use) or surgery. And get to a doctor immediately if a cut has swelling or redness, since the infection can spread quickly.

Share