Iranian Missile Misfires As Other Attacks Hit Home

Share

Tensions between the USA and Iran are escalating more than a year after Trump pulled the US out of the nuclear agreement and reimposed sanctions on Iran. On Saturday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated his ultimatum to European nations and other signatories that they must show "positive signals" in upholding the pact for Iran to maintain its commitment, as well.

US Military Central Command's statement on the release of the images says: "Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine".

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he made a number of calls Sunday and Monday to worldwide leaders, trying to convince them that keeping the Strait of Hormuz safe and open is a problem they all must deal with.

The Pentagon has released new photographs that it says offer more proof that Iran attacked two foreign oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week.

Adam Schiff, head of the House Intelligence Committee and a leading Democratic critic of the administration, said the evidence of Iranian involvement "is very strong and compelling".

The secretary of state said he hopes the threat of force against Iran will persuade Tehran to stop acting belligerently in the region.

Crown Prince Mohammed said the Kingdom's hand was always extended for peace, but the Iranian regime had disrespected the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during his visit to Tehran by attacking the two oil tankers in the Gulf, one of which was Japanese.

More news: Fernando Alonso wins Le Mans again and World Endurance title
More news: Egypt First Democratic President Dies Of Heart Attack
More news: Saudi crown prince accuses rival Iran of tanker attacks

The Houthis have stepped up missile and drone attacks against Saudi cities as tensions have risen between Iran and Gulf Arab states allied with the United States.

"Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine", the USA military said in a statement.

The United Arab Emirates' Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan called on world powers "to secure global navigation and access to energy", a plea echoed by regional ally Saudi Arabia after the incident sent crude prices soaring.

Perhaps of greatest concern to the US: Iran announced today it is increasing the enrichment of uranium and its stockpile will exceed the limit set by the Joint Comprehensive Plan Of Action (JCPOA) - from which Trump withdrew - by June 27th.

On Friday, the USA military released video footage it said suggested that Iran wanted to hide evidence that it was behind the attacks.

Tehran, however, has repeatedly threatened to close the vital Strait of Hormuz, through which 20% of the world's oil flows.

Trump had called the 2015 agreement "horrible" and said he would like to negotiate a new one.

Share