Huawei can't get Windows or Intel CPUs, so delays new PC

Share

Huawei's consumer division CEO Richard Yu officially confirmed to CNBC that the company is delaying the launch of its new laptop due to the trade sanctions imposed on them by the U.S. The trade ban does not allow Huawei to use the American products needed for laptop production such as Microsoft software or Intel processors.

Huawei will launch a new laptop model in July 2019 which will be running the Windows operating system, a source told the Global Times.

It's not hard to figure out why: Last month, the U.S. Department of Commerce placed Huawei on its Entity List of companies it believes pose a threat to U.S. national security. "We can not supply the PC", he said, calling the situation "unfortunate". Huawei now says it is scrapping the launch of a new version of its MateBook laptop, and it cites recent sanctions by the USA government as the reason.

On Monday, we reported that Huawei's PC business might be the worst hit with the on-going USA ban following reports that the tech giant had ordered deliveries and development of new PCs be suspended.

Huawei hasn't obviously commented on this report, but the lack of a laptop unveiling at CES this week should pretty much be living proof that the USA ban just made its first major victim.

The US government's clamp-down on Huawei has produced its first victim, with the Chinese tech firm canceling the launch of an upcoming product over the trade blacklist.

More news: Eden Hazard successfully passes checkup in Madrid
More news: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid on a Five-Year Contract
More news: UK Approves US Request For Julian Assange's Extradition

In addition, customers will be deprived of Huawei's high-quality MateBook laptops.

Huawei, the world's second-largest phone maker, already has trouble selling its smartphones in the U.S. Plans to line up partnerships with U.S. wireless carriers past year never panned out, reportedly because of U.S. government pressure, which cuts off Huawei from the primary way U.S. consumers shop for phones.

iTWire has asked Huawei for comment on the delay of the laptop launch.

Huawei has denied the accusations, and company Deputy Chairman Ken Hu reportedly told employees that the Commerce Department's decision is "the latest move in the campaign against Huawei, waged by the USA government for political reasons".

Huawei's smartphones don't appear to be affected yet, but experts have warned that being blocked from accessing USA tech could harm the company. Microsoft has remained silent on the matter other than removing Huawei's laptops from sale in its online store.

Share