Girl Recovers From Close Call With Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Share

An Indiana girl is facing months of surgeries and physical therapy after she made contact with unsafe bacteria while visiting a popular vacation spot.

Earlier this month, Michelle Brown from IN told the WKRG television channel that her family had arrived IN the city of Destin amid a couple of days of stormy weather on June 7. She had to have surgery to help remove the infection. Once the girl took an MRI, Brown said doctors noticed an infection was "spreading and running pretty rapidly" through her body.

There, doctors first thought Kylei that had a blood clot. She is still being treated at home with an I.V. bag of antibiotics and will soon begin therapy so she can walk again.

There are 500 to 1,500 cases reported a year, but 20 to 25 percent of victims die. The infection turned out to be necrotizing fascittis which causes a person's skin and tissue to deteriorate. Necrotizing Fasciitis is contracted when the water-borne bacteria enters an open wound.

It is common for those symptoms to masquerade as something innucuous, though, as it seemed for Kylei.

Thanks to quick action, Kylie is starting to walk.

"It was an aggressive infection and had already spread up her leg to her thigh".

Once she arrived at the ER, her heart rate was sky-high and everything else was erratic.

More news: Gabriel Jesus Scores Decisive Penalty as Brazil Advances to Copa America Semifinals
More news: EU's Donald Tusk lashes out at Putin on liberalism
More news: Philips Hue bulbs go bridge-less with new Bluetooth lights

The flesh eating bacteria had settled in her calf. Doctors worked feverishly to quell the infection and save the girl's leg.

"They weren't sure of what was wrong and her level of pain was concerning". Then a flesh-eating bacteria nearly killed her.

After that surgery, they explained the gravity of the situation to Michelle. The 12-year-old had innocently dipped her toes in the water just days after scuffing her foot on a skateboard when she contracted the infection.

The frantic ordeal went on for a week - in and out of surgery, hooked up to an IV and machines, and dealt Hail Mary antibiotics. Efficiency of operations to remove the infection and antibiotics are crucial in treating.

Luckily, Kylei's doctors caught it.

"It's just so hard seeing friends and family on the beach and having fun, because we were there doing the same thing and I nearly lost her", she said. Because of that, I still have my baby girl with me today.

"We were only allowed in the water to our ankles because the waves were huge and the undertow was too unsafe", said Brown in a Facebook post. "And doing that, they were trying to save her leg and save her because the infection was moving so rapidly", Brown told WKRG.

Her mother told WXIN she hopes her story will encourage others to quickly recognize the signs of the disease so they can seek prompt treatment.

Share