At Least 25 Officers Injured During Chaos Following Deadly Frayser Shooting


The man, who has not been identified by law enforcement, has been named by family and local politicians as 21-year-old Brandon Webber.

US Marshals shot the man, whose identity wasn't immediately released, while trying to arrest him on a warrant around 7 p.m., according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

People in the crowd threw rocks and bricks, with 25 officers suffering mostly minor injuries during the tense clash Wednesday night in the Frayser community in north Memphis.

"This is my district".

When the officers tried to stop Webber, "he reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers' vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon", the TBI says.

Another user said Webber was shot, left for dead and police "didn't get him in the ambulance just left him in the grass".

At least 24 officers and deputies were injured in the melee, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said Thursday morning.

Memphis police, who say they were not involved in the shooting, were called to assist investigators as a crowd grew around the scene.

More news: NASA will open the International Space Station to tourists in 2020
More news: Waze just inherited one of the best features of Google Maps
More news: Knicks still ready to make push for Kevin Durant signing

Passion Anderson, a 34-year-old student, drove her 13-year-old son to the scene early Thursday, after protesters had gone and the scene had calmed down.

"No officers were injured" in that initial encounter, according to the TBI. Multiple police cars were vandalized. Marshals then opened fire, killing the man who died at the scene.

The police director implored residents to wait until the TBI finishes its investigation before spreading possible misinformation about the shooting.

I was in Frayser tonight because Brandon Webber was shot 16-20 times in his family's front yard on the same day as the Pulse nightclub shooting anniversary and on the same day that the DA chose not to charge another police officer for murdering a civilian.

"I was proud of our first responders", the mayor said. Within hours, however, violence broke out and police deployed riot shields.

News of Webber's death spread quickly as protesters hurled rocks at police, tore down a concrete wall outside a business and smashed the windows of squad cars and a fire station.

"Let me be clear - the aggression shown towards our officers and deputies tonight was unwarranted", the mayor said. She grew up in Memphis, but left to OH before moving in November to the Frayser neighbourhood, a mostly low- to middle-income area north of downtown.