Sudan's Bashir charged over killings of protesters

Share

Army generals and protest leaders were expected to finalise the make-up of a new body to govern Sudan for three years, the thorniest issue in installing civilian rule.

He said the TMC, which took over after overthrowing and jailing Bashir last month, had chose to remove all barricades put up by demonstrators beyond the area where the protesters had been camping since April 6 outside the Defence Ministry.

He demanded that during that period the protesters must dismantle roadblocks in Khartoum, open bridges and railway lines connecting the capital and "stop provoking security forces".

There has been a protracted sit-in by protesters outside the army headquarters since the military seized power from veteran leader Omar al-Bashir in April 2019.

Some demonstrators expressed caution over the prospects of an agreement that would satisfy their demands for a handover of power to civilians, and for security forces to be held to account for the deaths of demonstrators.

There have been several deadly incidents of violence at the sit-ins, including at the main protest site outside the military headquarters in the capital, Khartoum. "They want to provoke the people by delaying the negotiations. but the negotiations will resume now that the roadblocks have been removed", said Moatassim Sayid, a protester at the sit-in.

Opposition leaders blamed the attacks on forces loyal to al-Bashir and held the transitional military council responsible for protecting protesters.

Our editorial independence means that we can continue to provide factual updates about ongoing protests to Sudanese and global actors, educate people about how to avoid outbreaks of cholera, and provide a window to the world for those in all corners of Sudan.

More news: Rihanna calls out white Alabama lawmakers who banned abortion
More news: Britney Spears Not Ready for Vegas Residency, Says her Manager
More news: Apple Just Released The New Apple TV App

They had also agreed that parliament be composed of 300 members for the transition, with around two-thirds from the alliance and the rest drawn from other political groups.

Another protest leader Ahmed al-Rabie also confirmed the military council's decision.

The current talks began on Monday and the two sides have since agreed on an overall civilian structure, including a three-year transitional period for the full transfer of power to a civilian administration.

He said of the three-year transition period, the first six months will be allocated to signing peace accords with rebels in the country's war zones like Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan.

However, the military rulers still appear cagey about surrendering absolute power to the opposition alliance which is demanding a majority in the sovereign council, the citadel of power.

"We vow to our people that the agreement will be completed fully within 24 hours in a way that it meets the people's aspirations", Atta said.

On the defence and interior ministries would be headed by military figures, he said.

Medani Abas Medani, a leading member of the opposition alliance, said negotiations would continue on Wednesday to discuss the details of the formation of the joint transitional council and the percentage of representation of the two sides.

Share