New Zealand shooting: Suspect shows court white power sign

Share

Bishop of Polynesia - The Most Reverend Fereimi Cama said the Anglican Diocese of Polynesia unequivocally condemned this act of terrorism.

NZ Police have announced the Christchurch court where Tarrant is due to appear will be closed to public over security concerns, but media will still be able to attend.

He was reprimanded without plea until his next appearance at New Zealand's High Court on April 5.

On Saturday, outside one of the two mosques, 32-year-old Ash Mohammed pushed through police barricades in hopes of finding out what happened to his father and two brothers, whose mobile phones rang unanswered.

Meanwhile, Facebook, Twitter and Google are facing scrutiny after reports that hours after the Christchurch attack, copies of the footage were still available on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, as well as Facebook-owned Instagram and WhatsApp despite the social media giants' claims that they had removed the videos. Shortly before the attack, he published a 73-page "manifesto" in which he vowed "revenge" against Muslim "invaders" and said he was inspired by Anders Breivik, who killed 77 people in Norway in 2011.

The victim can not be named by order of the court.

"It's outrageous" he said.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the events in Christchurch represented "an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence", and that numerous victims could be migrants or refugees.

One Saudi citizen and two Jordanians were among the dead, while five Pakistani citizens were missing.

"Our prayers are with the families of the deceased, the injured and all others impacted by this tragedy". Police warned Muslims against going to a mosque anywhere in New Zealand, and the national airline cancelled several flights in and out of Christchurch, a city of almost 400,000.

"It means a lot".

Arden told reporters on Saturday that the guns "appear to have been modified" and said that was "a challenge that we will look to address in changing our laws".

More news: Aussie politician claims Muslims are responsible for New Zealand shootings
More news: PM statement on the New Zealand attack: 15 March 2019
More news: India vs Australia - Highlights & Stats

The massacre has prompted an outpouring of grief and anger around the world.

New Zealand is generally considered to be welcoming to migrants and refugees.

The Al Noor mosque sits opposite a grand English-style park filled with towering oak trees. Thank you for all the support and all the help you have given me so far. "Our hearts are breaking for your loss", read one of the notes marked with a string of x-kisses.

New Zealand, with a population of five million, has relatively loose gun laws and an estimated 1.5 million firearms, or roughly one for every three people.

Mr Bainimarama also said his government will be working closely with authorities in New Zealand to monitor the welfare of Fijians in Christchurch.

The alleged gunman reportedly streamed 17 minutes of the attack on Facebook.

Bush said police had found two improvised explosive devices in one auto, a clarification from an earlier statement that there were devices in multiple vehicles.

Of the four people police apprehended on Friday, one was released ― an innocent bystander who "was just trying to get their kids home", Bush said.

"Their intervention may very likely have saved further lives".

Another two individuals are still in custody as the police continue to determine if they were involved in any way.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said an Australian national arrested after the attack was an "extremist, right-wing violent terrorist".

Share