Malaysia rejects call to free Vietnamese accused in Kim Jong Nam killing


Indonesian Siti Aisyah, who accompanied Huong and says she was fooled in the same way, was freed after charges against her were dropped on Monday.

After the trial was postponed, Hương met with Vietnamese Ambassador to Malaysia Lê Quý Quỳnh.

They were charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code, which provides for the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

On March 12, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh talked over the phone with Malaysian Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah to discuss several issues, including the trial of Huong. "Her case is the same as Siti Aisyah's".

Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung "expressed disappointment about Malaysian prosecutors' decision to reject #Vietnam's request to free #DoanThiHuong" during a meeting in the Vietnamese capital on Thursday with Malaysia's ambassador, Zamruni Khalid, the ministry said via Twitter.

Teh said, "Very obviously, there is discrimination".

The pair had always denied murder, saying they were tricked by North Korean spies into carrying out the Cold War-style hit that shocked the world using a highly toxic nerve agent, and believed it was a prank for a reality TV show.

Two other North Korean nationals, whom Malaysian police had identified as persons of interest in the investigation, were on the same commercial flight that carried Kim's body out of Malaysia. Both women were charged separately but the charge against them is the same: That they had colluded with the four North Korean suspects to murder Kim.

More news: PM statement on the New Zealand attack: 15 March 2019
More news: Aurora Cannabis share price up 11% after hiring Nelson Peltz
More news: Conor McGregor sued in South Florida after recent arrest in Miami

She has been on trial for a year and a half over the 2017 assassination of Kim Jong Nam at Kuala Lumpur airport.

Both the women had pleaded not guilty to the murder.

Malaysian prosecutors withdrew murder charges against her over the death of the victim.

When asked by the judge if she was unwell, Huong stood in the dock and said she suffered from tension and stress. The decision comes a few days after another accused 27-year-old Indonesian woman, Siti Aisyah, was released on Monday.

Vietnam said it was disappointed in the outcome of Thursday's hearing. She thanked the Party, State and the Vietnamese Embassy in Malaysia for their help and support.

She was crushed when she did not get the good news she was hoping for. "I had hoped my daughter would be freed like the Indonesian woman", said her father, Doan Van Thanh. It was also found on the women's clothes.

Analysts have said the case against Aisyah appeared weaker since there was no video evidence of her accosting Kim at the airport. There was security camera footage of Huong.