Johnson & Johnson chalks up another talc loss with $29M mesothelioma verdict

Share

That hasn't stopped people around the country from filing lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson.

The nine-week trial that began on January 7 involved a jury that deliberated for two days before delivering the verdict in California Superior Court in Oakland, the report said.

J&J officials contend Superior Court Judge Brad Seligman made errors in rulings on procedure and evidence in the trial that should have resulted in a mistrial.

A California jury returned a $29.4 million verdict in a trial involving a woman who believes that her mesothelioma is tied to her regular use of Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder.

The petitioner, Terry Leavitt, said she used Johnson's Baby Powder and Shower to Shower during the 1960s and 1970s before being diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2017.

Asbestos is found insulation, roofing and some plastics, but according to the American Cancer Society (ACS), the naturally occurring minerals also turn up in the pure form of talc, which is the basis for talcum powder like that used in Johnson & Johnson's products.

More news: Apple strikes back at Spotify
More news: Tannehill traded to Titans
More news: Lisa Page: Yeah, Obama's DOJ Killed the Prosecution of Hillary Clinton

Johnson & Johnson must pay about $29 million to a dying California woman who blamed asbestos-tainted talc for causing her cancer, the company's latest loss in nationwide litigation over its iconic baby powder. The verdict said that the baby powder was a "substantial contributing factor" in her illness. In December previous year, the company reiterated the safety of its products as a slew of drug regulators around the world such as the US FDA and India's Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) analysed samples of J&J products.

The conglomerate said it would appeal the order and cited "serious procedural and evidentiary errors" in the trial's proceedings. Cypress Mines, one of J&J's former talc suppliers, is answerable for the remaining 2 percent.

The investigations followed a Reuters report that claimed that J&J knew about the presence of asbestos traces in its products for the last 50 years and failed to disclose this to national regulators and customers.

In response to the lawsuit, Johnson & Johnson released a statement about the verdict, saying the company plans to appeal.

Reuters examined decades of internal company and court documents, and determined that Johnson & Johnson had been aware from 1971 to the early 2000s that its product occasionally contained small amounts of asbestos, but never shared that information outside of the company.

Almost 14,000 cases involving people who believe that J&J's talc powder caused their cancer are making their way through the USA legal system.

Share