The UK government offered Nissan $100 million over Brexit worries

Share

But the letter, which the government previously refused to publish on multiple occasions, had prompted accusations that ministers were doing secretive deals with firms, prompting some Brexiteers to question whether pledges made might keep Britain tied to EU mechanisms such as the customs union.

Clark has now released the four-page letter sent to Nissan in 2016, promising "a package of support in areas such as skills, R&D and innovation" that "could amount to [.] up to £80m".

Nissan subsequently announced it would build two vehicles at a Sunderland plant - but cancelled these plans on Sunday.

"We will set our ambitions high and vigorously pursue continued access to the European market as an objective in future negotiations".

Meanwhile, Clark revealed the firm would need to re-apply for government funding after deciding not to build new auto models at its United Kingdom plan.

Many remain MPs have said that Brexit uncertainty is to blame for Nissan withdrawing from plans to manufacture its X-Trail model in the UK.

Clark told Parliament on Monday that as the terms of Nissan's investment had changed, they would need to re-apply for the funding.

More news: Emiliano Sala - Nantes demanding first instalment of transfer fee
More news: Cricket Betting Tips and Match Prediction- New Zealand v India 1st T20
More news: Speaker Pelosi’s Awkward Applause During Trump’s States of the Union Makes Headlines

But on Sunday, Nissan, which operates Britain's single-biggest auto factory where it built approximately 30 per cent of the country's 1.52 million cars produced previous year, said it was reversing that decision.

Nissangate continues with the news that as previously suspected, the government had offered Nissan a huge pile of cash to manufacture its new auto in the UK.

"While I'm pleased the decision taken in 2016 to build the Qashqai and secure the Sunderland plant is unchanged, it's deeply disappointing to me and to the workforce that the extra jobs that would have come from the X-Trail will no longer be available". Nissan had given some of the comments regarding its decision by saying that since the year 2016, the vehicle industry has been facing a changed environment in Europe dramatically which included the change in emissions of the regulations.

But speaking alongside Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Tokyo, she said: "We want to do everything to avoid a no-deal, because that would increase the uncertainty".

However, earlier this week it confirmed a decision to move production to Japan.

It is another sign of the decline of British automotive manufacturing, on which Fleet Europe reported last week.

Unite Union representatives are due to meet with Nissan bosses on Monday to discuss the situation.

Share