Jayme Closs’ aunt shares how teen spent her first day home


Patterson went to the Closs home outside Barron, Wisconsin, with the intention of taking Jayme, Fitzgerald said.

The sheriff calls it "a very well-planned out attack".

GORDON, Wisc. - New details emerged Sunday about the ramshackle cabin where 13-year-old kidnapping victim Jayme Closs was held for 88 days - as the family that helped save her recounted her tense rescue to The Post. They claim Patterson shaved his head to avoid being recognised or associated with the crime.

Jake Patterson had, as it turns out, worked at the same turkey processing plant, but only for a single day three years ago.

"This family has always had this unbelievable strength, they've always been there for each other long before this happened", she said. Authorities say Patterson acted alone.

Although Jayme had disappeared, investigators said they initially "keyed in" on the parents because the daughter was an innocent child who they didn't believe could be targeted. And her alleged kidnaper was still out there, likely hunting for her. When the dispatcher called back, a voicemail greeting indicated the phone belonged to Denise Closs, 46. No one on the line talked to the dispatcher, but the dispatcher "could hear a lot of yelling".

She was able to escape her abductor after almost three months of being held captive by Jake Thomas Patterson. Nutter said she was alarmed that the teen wasn't wearing boots or gloves.

Police arrived to find the door kicked in, Jayme missing and her parents dead.

More news: Lil Uzi Vert Announces He's 'Done With Music'
More news: McCarthy Vows ‘Action’ on Steve King After Latest Race Remarks
More news: Pot Producer Aphria’s CEO to Step Down Following Short-Seller Allegations

Nutter, who has a background as a social worker and who is a part-time academic advisor for the UW-Madison school of social work, was seemingly the flawless person to run into a distressed girl in need of immediate help.

Nutter and Jayme went to the closest house, the home of Kristin and Peter Kasinskas, and they called 911. "We were armed and ready", Kasinskas said in an interview on Sunday. "She said that this person usually hides her or hides her when others are near, or when he has to leave the household".

"It was a privilege to have a little part in helping get her home", she said.

Ten minutes after Jayme was found, Patterson was pulled over and arrested.

Twenty-one-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson is expected to appear in Barron County Circuit Court on Monday afternoon, after prosecutors formally charge him with intentional homicide and kidnapping.

Jayme has been staying with an aunt in Barron since she escaped. "What a great feeling to have her home".

"Now it's about getting him the harshest sentence possible", Jayme's aunt Kelly Engelhart said.