Four Dead Amid Car Blast, Shooting in Southern Iranian Port of Chabahar

Share

A suicide vehicle bomber has attacked a police headquarters in the Iranian port city of Chabahar, killing at least three people and wounding several others, according to state TV. Ansar al-Furqan is known to operate in Iran's southeastern Sistan and Baluchistan Province, which sees occasional attacks by Baluch separatists and drug traffickers.

The state news agency IRNA said some 24 people had been wounded.

Rahmdel Bameri, Chabahar's acting governor, was among the Iranian officials who said two victims were killed by the December 6 car-bomb attack.

Chabahar lies in Sistan-Baluchistan province which has always been a flashpoint, with Pakistan-based Baluchi separatists and Sunni Muslim extremists carrying out cross-border attacks targeting the Shiite authorities. No militant group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

State television broke into its regular broadcast to report the attack, as such assaults are rare in the Islamic Republic.

More news: George W. Bush gives Michelle Obama candy at father's funeral
More news: Tyson Fury is the Favourite in Re-Match with Deontay Wilder
More news: Facebook Struck Deals Over Data and Burnt Rivals, Say Lawmakers

Videos posted on Twitter, purportedly from Chabahar, showed thick smoke rising from the area.

Mohammad Pakpur, the commander of the ground forces of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the attack had failed.

That attack was claimed by a Sunni Muslim group called, Jundallah, also known as Soldiers of God.

Tehran accuses its Sunni-led regional rival Saudi Arabia and the United States of funding most of these groups, a charge that Riyadh and Washington deny.

Chabahar lies some 100 kilometres (60 miles) west of the Pakistan border and is home to a large Balochi community which straddles the two countries.

Share