SpaceX Announces New Plan to Send Tourist Around Moon

Share

This is not the first time the California-based company, headed by Internet entrepreneur and Tesla electric vehicle CEO Elon Musk, has touted plans to send tourists around the Moon.

SpaceX said it has signed the first private moon traveler, with some changes to its original game plan.

He introduced the BFR, composed of a rocket and spaceship, last year, saying it was aimed at allowing people to colonize Mars and that the company wanted to land two cargo ships on the Red Planet in 2022.

But during a Falcon Heavy press conference earlier this year, Musk told reporters that, for the time being, SpaceX had no plans to certify the Falcon Heavy for human spaceflight.

To date, only 24 people have traveled to the Moon and all of them were NASA astronauts that were a part of the Apollo Program that saw some nine 3 man crews venture to our nearest celestial neighbor (three of them journeyed to the Moon more than once).

More details would be made available on Monday, it said.

More news: European Parliament approves new copyright changes which could lead to upload filters
More news: EU parliament pushes Hungary sanctions over Orban policies
More news: Dairy consumption linked to lower rates of cardiovascular disease and mortality

The names and identities of those two tourists - and how much they meant to pay - were never revealed.

It would be humanity's first lunar visit since 1972.

SpaceX now has a $1.6 billion contract with NASA to supply the astronauts living at the ISS, via regular cargo trips on its Dragon spaceship, launched aboard a Falcon 9 rocket.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk confirmed on Twitter that the trip would make use of a new version of the company's BFR launch vehicle. These include performing satellite launches, cleaning up space junk, and of course, taking the rich and space curious on trips around the moon.

"All our resources will turn toward building BFR", Musk said past year, reported the Verge.

Share