At least eight members of Iran's elite military have been killed with 20 people wounded in a gun attack during a parade in the southwestern city of Ahvaz, local media have said. "There are several killed and injured", a correspondent told state television.
This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly.
The state-run IRNA news agency reported that the wounded included a woman and a child but did not elaborate.
Photos shared by a state news agency show a man in military fatigues with blood running down his back being helped towards a auto by a group of men. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack in the city of Ahvaz.
The parade was marking the start of the Iran-Iraq War, which lasted between 1980 and 1988.
Saturday's attack comes after a coordinated Islamic State assault on parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Teheran in June past year.More news: FedEx Cup to offer $15 million to winner next year
More news: Kerala Nun Rape Accused Franco Mulakkal To be Arrested
More news: Meghan Markle Hosts First Palace Event With Her Mom by Her Side
ISNA published photographs of the attack's aftermath, with bloodied troops in dress uniforms helping each other walk away. Ahvaz is in the centre of Khuzestan province, which has been the site of sporadic protests by Iran's Arab minority.
Who carried out the assault also remained in question.
The report Saturday described the assailants as "Takifiri gunmen", a term previously used to describe ISIS. The Guard also has vast holdings in Iran's economy.
The bloodshed struck a blow to security in OPEC oil producer Iran, which has been relatively stable compared with neighboring Arab countries that have faced upheaval since the 2011 uprisings across the region.
The assault shocked Tehran, which largely has avoided militant attacks in the decades after the tumult surrounding the Islamic Revolution.