Man has limbs amputated after dog lick led to severe blood infection

Share

A Wisconsin man had to have all of his limbs amputated when he contracted a rare blood infection from his pet dog's saliva, according to a report. Contact with a dog's saliva, which is likely what happened to Greg Manteufel, is enough to cause an infection.

Greg Manteufel went to the hospital with what he thought was the flu, local news outlet Fox 6 Now reported yesterday (July 30).

On June 27th 2018 the Manteufel family experienced a medical emergency when Greg started feeling ill, within hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock.

Manteufel and wife Dawn. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel.

The infection caused Greg's blood pressure to massively drop, which meant that the circulation was cut off and eventually led to the loss of his legs.

Dawn Manteufel said that they are focued on what her husband has left, rather than what was taken away.

In 2016, doctors in London documented the case of a 70-year-old woman who had been infected with Capnocytophaga.

MAN-DOG-LICK2
MANTEUFUL FAMILY UNREAL Doctors have said the virus is incredible rare

According to a GoFundMe page set up by the family, Manteufel's tissue was severely impacted by the bacteria and sepsis.

"More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue", Munoz-Price said.

Manteufel's GoFundMe page states that Capnocytophaga canimorsus is fairly common and grows in the mouths of up to 60 percent of dogs and 17 percent of cats. Doctors had to amputate both legs through the knee caps.

The bacteria's transmission can occur through bites, licks or even close proximity to the animals. "Sometimes it decreases so much that the arms and legs just die", she added.

Dawn Manteufel said that within one week, her husband's legs were gone, followed by more surgeries to remove portions of his hands, and then half of both forearms. Doctors said they believe he got a bacterial infection afterward that spread through his body. "He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time".

Capnocytophaga canimorsus is commonly transmitted by dog bites and is usually life-threatening to people who suffer from alcoholism or are asplenic, meaning their spleens don't function normally.

More news: Indonesia natural disaster : Several hundred stranded on Lombok volcano
More news: Priyanka Chopra saddles up for Chris Pratt-led ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’
More news: Braves' Newcomb has no-hitter thru 6 innings vs Dodgers

Share