Parents Allowed to See Rescued Boys: Hospital


The Thai hospital where the 12 boys and their soccer coach are recuperating after being rescued from a flooded cave has released video showing them in their hospital beds, smiling and chatting with nurses.The video shows the boys in an isolation ward in beds with crisp white sheets and wearing green surgical masks.

Thai officials have been generous with their praise of foreign volunteers who were essential in the complicated search and rescue operation, including the two British divers who were the first to discover where the members of the Wild Boar soccer club were sheltering.

"I want to see the face of my child and embrace him and ask him how he feels and how he's doing".

Officials said the plight of the stranded boys and the heroic and successful multi-national efforts to free them has put the relatively unexplored cave squarely on the map.

But Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha warned previously that precautions will have to be taken to make sure visitors are safe - including adding lights and signs to the Tham Luang cave network.

None of the boys was heard speaking in the clips shown at the news conference.

A cave complex in Thailand where 12 schoolboys and their football coach were trapped for more than two weeks before they were safely brought out will be turned into a museum to showcase the rescue, the head of the operation said on Wednesday.

More news: Prince William's heartfelt message to England squad after World Cup dreams end
More news: Trump says USA had opposed formula limits, not breastfeeding
More news: Feeding babies solid food helps them sleep better

Managing partner Michael Scott, who lives in Thailand and was at the rescue site in Chiang Rai as the boys were being pulled to safety, made the announcement late Tuesday on Twitter.

The first boys rescued on Sunday have been allowed to see their relatives through a glass partition and speak to them on a telephone line. Doctors were anxious about potential infections the children could have contracted in the cave.

Twelve boys and their football coach had no serious health concerns Wednesday morning after the last group of five was successfully rescued from a flooded northern cave and transferred to hospital last night. "The best way is not to bother them and let them study".

Several options were explored by authorities - including tunnelling into the trapped group or getting them enough food to wait out the monsoon season.

Parents of the boys have been watching their children at the hospital as they recover and are evaluated by doctors.

Getting them out - which involved teaching boys as young as 11 who were not strong swimmers to dive through narrow, submerged passages - proved a monumental challenge. Former Thai Navy SEAL Saman Gunan died last Friday while putting extra air tanks along the escape path.

The commander of the navy SEAL unit that oversaw the rescue, Rear Admiral Apakorn Yuukongkaew, hailed the worldwide effort.