After Lyon's official Twitter account pushed out messages insisting reports of Fekir's imminent move to Liverpool was "false information", those being told the fine details of the deal have been agreed were left a little confused.
There's suggestions Nabil Fekir's move from Lyon to Liverpool was called off from the English end of the deal.
Speaking on Saturday afternoon, French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet even appeared to confirm that a transfer was on course to be completed imminently, as Fekir had passed his medical at France's national football centre. Jurgen Klopp, in particular, will be delighted to have secured the signing of Fekir, should the transfer go through.
This is a huge blow for Liverpool, as adding Fekir to a midfield three that now includes both Naby Keita and Fabinho would have made them immediate title contenders.
His form was nowhere near the level he reached in the 2016/17 season - he only scored two goals and laid on eight assists in the league in 30 appearances.More news: Warriors remain an unbeatable NBA champion for one reason
More news: How to get help for someone who might be suicidal
More news: Donald Trump: Melania Trump 'Can't Fly for One Month'
"In this period of transfers where the slightest rumour is often presented as a reality, Olympique Lyonnais recalls that only the information disseminated by the club on its website is authentic".
However, Lyon said on Saturday that talks about the potential transfer of their captain "had not succeeded".
Liverpool, on the other hand, were in dire need of someone like Fekir, especially after the departure of Philipe Coutinho earlier this year.
British and French media have been reporting for several days that the 24-year-old, who is part of France's World Cup squad, was on the verge of joining Liverpool for 60-70 million euros (USD 71-82 million). And Liverpool fans would have been watching him very closely.