Little girl temporarily paralyzed after tick bite

Share

A mom in MS said she got the scare of her life last week when her young daughter temporarily lost the ability to walk after getting bit by a tick. "She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal". "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday.

Staff at the University Medical Centre of MS discovered a tick embedded in the girl's scalp that had caused her temporary paralysis.

A 5-year-old girl in MS was paralyzed for over a day from a tick bite, an unusual case highlighting the importance of protecting against insects as peak biting season begins.

The post, which received over 107,000 reactions and 414,000 shares, was followed by a photo of Kailyn walking out of the hospital with "Get Well" balloons.

Griffin said she rushed her daughter to the hospital where doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis.

Here is more about how and why ticks can cause paralysis and worse.

"Fortunately, it is relatively rare", said Robbin Lindsay, a research scientist at the Public Health Agency of Canada who specializes in ticks.

The paralysis begins in the legs, then spreads to the upper extremities.

Symptoms do not start right away, but typically start to appear after the tick has been feeding on the person or animal for four to seven days.

More news: Dixons Says Almost 6 Million Cards Targeted in Cyberattack
More news: Trump adviser apologises for saying Trudeau has ‘a place in hell’
More news: Ivanka Trump's tweet of a 'Chinese proverb' leaves Chinese people confused

Fortunately, tick paralysis is easy to treat: simply remove the tick and the symptoms will subside with 12 to 24 hours - that is, if you remove the tick properly.

After removing the tick from the head, Jessica placed it in a plastic bag.

Which ticks can cause paralysis?

After medical examination it became clear that this paralysis ticks.

The CDC recommends showering within two hours of coming indoors to reduce the risk of getting Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases.

"I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk!" she wrote. Wearing protective clothing treated with insect repellent, particularly Permethrin, was shown to protect against tick bites.

"I went to brush her hair to put it in a ponytail and noticed she could barely talk and when I pulled her hair back that's when I seen [sic] the tick".

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted.

Share