Kashmir: CRPF vehicle runs over 3 while being attacked, 1 died


The incident triggered fresh protests against the government and security forces. Police said the marchers were defying a curfew order. The vehicle, he said, accidentally strayed into an area crowded with protesters, then struck some people when the driver realised what had happened and tried to get quickly away.

Jammu and Kashmir Police has registered a case of rash-driving against the CRPF for moving down a youth during protests in Nowhatta area of downtown Srinagar on Friday.

The incident took place on a day when there was no deployment of police near the mosque as the authorities had made a decision to ease tension in the area during Friday's congregational prayers. They were rushed to Soura Institute of Medical Sciences where Qaiser succumbed to his injuries.

The incident in Srinagar's Nowhatta area, just a few days before Home Minister Rajnath Singh is to visit the valley, could dampen the centre's renewed efforts to reach out to Kashmiri youth after announcing the Ramzan truce with terrorists. "The mob tried to open the back door of the vehicle that was closed from inside and lynch the CRPF men", Sharma said.

More news: Google says it will not renew controversial Pentagon contract
More news: It’s World Tobacco Day, quit being a butt-head!
More news: Trump says no new North Korea sanctions

A senior police official informed Kashmir News Service (KNS) that a case under FIR number 19/2018 under section 279 and 337 RPC has been registered against the CRPF over Nowhatta incident, wherein two youth were run over by a CRPF.

Former Chief Minister and leader of the main Opposition National Conference Omar Abdullah expressed anguish over the incident.

SRINAGAR: Indian atrocities continued unabated in occupied Kashmir as Indian troops, in their continued acts of state terrorism, martyred 31 Kashmiris including a woman and six young boys during the last month of May. "There is also a difference in presenting before the audience/readers/followers "a selective picture" and not a "chain of pictures presenting the whole scene", the Jammu and Kashmir Police said in a statement on Twitter.

Kashmir has been beset by unrest for decades but had been relatively peaceful until the killing of a militant by security forces in 2016.