Colorado Girl Survives Bear Attack Near Her Home


No charges will be filed in connection to a bear attack that seriously injured a 5-year-old Grand Junction over the weekend.

The girl is now in fair condition at St. Mary's Medical Center.

Then, the mother, who was not identified, saw her girl being dragged by the black bear.

She told CPW officers the bear dropped the girl after she began screaming at the animal.

"Before the sun rose on the morning of Mother's Day, she truly exemplified the love and courage of what it takes to be a mother and, because of those actions, her child is here today", said J.T. Romatzke, regional manager for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. The father told deputies he believed the 5-year-old was camping outside, but later said that was false, according to the sheriff's office.

This is the version of events his wife told Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

The attack happened about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, according to KDVR.

More news: Emilia Clarke's Solo mission to conquer a galaxy (far, far away)
More news: Stardew Valley PS Vita release date confirmed
More news: Judge rules Mueller has authority to prosecute former Trump campaign chairman Manafort

"Right on, good for her", the dispatcher responded. They said in their statement that a heavy law enforcement presence will be seen throughout the area as they search for the bear.

"We intend to catch this bear", said an agency spokesman, Mike Porras.

"Fortunately she had no life-threatening injuries, no injuries to her brain or chest organs or abdominal organs and no fractures".

"The goal is to trap the bear, and if we do, we are going to put that bear down", Porras said.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife advises the public to avoid attracting bears and other wildlife to their residences by removing attractants, including trash, bird feeders and other potential sources of food.

State officials have seen an increase in bear conflicts over the years as more people continue moving to Colorado and push farther into bear country.

Wildlife officials said they observed the bear walking up to a residence about a half-mile away from the location of the attack early Monday.