"An Iranian ballistic missile launched from Sadaa towards Riyadh was successfully intercepted by Saudi Air Defence earlier today", Colonel Turki al-Malki, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Huthis, said.
Beyond saying they died while "performing their patriotic duty", no additional information was given on the time or circumstances of their death.
The battle on Thursday is reportedly the heaviest one that Sudan has suffered since it has deployed troops in Yemen in 2015, to bolster the mostly Gulf Arab alliance fighting the Iran-allied Houthi movement. Saudi state-run TV channel al-Ekhbariya carried the official statement as residents of the capital posted on social media their accounts of hearing a loud explosion and seeing smoke in the sky.
Saudi officials said flights were temporarily suspended at Abha airport in line with safety procedures.More news: Mick Mulvaney: "I have not burnt the place down"
More news: EWG's 2018 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce
More news: LG promises faster updates with new Software Upgrade Center
He said Saudi forces also intercepted two missiles in the southern Jizan and Najran provinces close to the border with Yemen.
A facility belonging to the oil giant Aramco in Jizan province was also hit by Yemeni drone, according to the source. More than 10,000 Yemenis have died in the conflict and millions in the impoverished country have been pushed to the brink of starvation.
The source identified the drone as local-made Qasef-1, Arabic-language al-Massirah television network reported.
Yemen's defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.