CBI Detains BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar Accused In Unnao Rape Case


The MLA's counsel Satyendra Singh did not oppose the CBI's remand plea, saying, "We are willing to cooperate in the investigation".

With possibility of arrest of BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Senger, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) tonight submitted it's interim probe report to the Uttar Pradesh government.

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Kuldeep Singh Sengar, accused of raping a teenager previous year, was sent to police custody for seven days by a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Saturday, a day after he was arrested by the investigating agency.

A 17-year-old had accused the BJP MLA and his brother of gangraping her last year, and alleged that the authorities did not pursue the case to bring her justice.

The first FIR pertains to the alleged rape of the girl in which Sengar and Shashi Singh have been named as accused. Meanwhile, the CBI has spoken to the rape victim and some of the witnesses and family members besides visiting the crime scene. "It is not possible, this is a conspiracy against him (Kuldeep Singh Sengar)", Singh told ANI.

More news: No decision on Syria yet, Trump weighing all options - WH
More news: Marcelo Takes Champions League Shot At Barcelona
More news: Kathua Rape-Murder Case: What we know so far

Senior Advocate G S Chaturvedi, who had moved the court, said the SIT headed by senior police officers conducted preliminary investigation and then filed a report after which the FIR was registered. Singh also said, "Those who are raising a hue and cry, are shedding crocodile tears for women..."

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath today lssured that strict actions would be taken against the accused in the Unnao gangrape case.

The CBI officials confirmed that he has not been arrested so far.

Two doctors have been suspended and disciplinary proceedings initiated against three others for laxity in providing the victim's father with proper medical care and treatment prior to his judicial custody and at the district hospital, Kumar said. The state government also ordered the handing over of the twin cases of rape and the custodial death of the victim's father to the CBI. The victim tried to set herself ablaze outside Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's residence April 8, claiming inaction in the rape case. The next day, her father, who had been detained by local police after he was alleged assaulted, died in custody.