Cambodia frees two Canadians held in 'dirty dancing' case

Share

The defendants, aged from 19 to 31, now face up to one year in prison after a Siem Reap court charged them with producing pornographic pictures and materials.

Eden Kazoleas and Jessica Drolet spoke briefly to reporters at Toronto's Pearson airport Friday night, after a court in Cambodia allowed their release.

"I think the main reason it was so scary is (that) we didn't speak the native language so we were often very confused about what was happening", she said. "I look forward to seeing my family and my parents, who have done absolutely everything they could to bring me home".

A total of 87 foreigners were arrested on Jan 25 in a raid on a "Let's get wet" pub crawl event, after being accused by police of "singing and dancing pornographically".

Kazoleas and Drolet - along with nationals from the United Kingdom, Norway, the Netherlands and New Zealand - were alleged to have been featured in, or to have taken, photos that portrayed sexually suggestive dancing.

"They may not leave the country because their passports were taken away", he added.

Yim Srang, a court spokesman in the northwestern province of Siem Reap, said the investigation has been completed and the seven were freed Wednesday, but no trial date has been set.

More news: He deserves all the credit - Guardiola salutes four-goal Aguero
More news: Odisha CM's Private Secretary's residence vandalised, Patnaik condemns BJP
More news: North Korea invites South Korean president to visit

The pair returned to Canada with Tibollo's daughter, Frances, who negotiated their release, he said.

Kazoleas and Drolet both said having each other's support made the situation more bearable. "As much as I wish she didn't have to go through it, I couldn't have done it without her".

Some of their loved ones had meant to be at the Pearson arrivals gate but were delayed because of the weather, Tibollo's father said.

Tibollo's father, lawyer Michael Tibollo, said the Canadian women were held in jail for over a week and were confined to a cell with 45 other women.

The Post reported on Thursday that seven of those arrested had been released on bail, but the nationalities of those released were not known.

Ouch Sopheaktra, another lawyer for those arrested, said the three remaining suspects in detention were from Britain, the Netherlands and Norway.

Police who conducted the raid originally detained nearly 90 people, and it was unclear why they singled out 10 to remain in custody and be charged.

Share