Earlier this week, Floridian Jason Colon was working out at an LA Fitness in St. Petersburg while listening to a dance mix, when all of a sudden the headphones stopped working. Acting quickly and wisely, Colon removed his AirPods and placed them down on a piece of equipment so that he could go and get help from gym employees. He isn't exactly sure what happened to the right AirPod, but he's definitely sure others should be warned. It was already popped. "And then I saw white smoke start billowing out". "You can see flame damage", Colon said.
Thankful that he removed the earbuds in time, Colon is now anxious about what could happen to other AirPod owners. He further stated that "I don't know what would've happened to my ear". "But I'm sure my earlobe could've been burnt".
These were caused by manufacturing issues, including poor welding at the battery manufacturer.
Who can forget the horror show that was Samsung's Galaxy Note 7? And just last month, a man found out about thermal runaway when he bit into an iPhone battery. As for now, what are your thoughts on the AirPods blowing up on a Florida man?More news: Coutinho revels in first goal as Barcelona reach Copa del Rey final
More news: Marco Rubio Defends Democratic Colleague Over Misleading Fox News Report
More news: Court rejects appeals by 47 Russian athletes hours before opening ceremony
"This looks like this was the battery", Colon said when explaining the malfunction to KXAN sister station WFLA.
This isn't the first case of a popular product bursting into flames.
8 On Your Side has since been told by an Apple spokeswoman that they are investigating the issue and will be reaching out to Colon.
About Making Comments on our Site: Patently Apple reserves the right to post, dismiss or edit any comments.