Man dies after being sucked into MRI machine


A 32-year-old man died at BYL Nair Municipal Hospital in Mumbai on Saturday night after he was reportedly sucked into a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine while holding a metallic oxygen cylinder in his hand.

The hospital, on its part, has sought to place the blame on the victim, claiming that he was instructed against carrying the cylinder inside the MRI room, as per a CNN-News18 report.

NDTV reports Maru's hand was trapped in the machine when the damaged cylinder burst, "triggering a massive oxygen leak", according to the Telegraph.

Ramesh Bharmal, the dean of the hospital, told AFP that an investigation has been launched to determine Maru's exact cause of death.

Dr S D Madhu, associate professor, department of radiology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, said MRI machines are fitted with very powerful magnets that can even pull small metal objects towards them.

More news: Classy City breeze past Cardiff to reach FA Cup fifth round
More news: Justice Department Charges Eight Traders With Deceptive Futures Market Trading
More news: House Intel committee votes to release Nunes memo

The death of a person inside an MRI machine is more absurd than ignorance, say doctors in the city.

"The ward boy (assistant) asked him to help".

"The ward boy who was supposed to prevent such incidents told my family members to go inside when the machine was turned on".

A postmortem at J J Hospital indicated that Maru died due to pneumothorax, a condition where excessive air enters the lung pockets. Dr Rajendra Padmakar Kedar from Tempa, Florida, US, who is in town as one of the speakers in the radiologist conference talking to Mirror said, "As per the MRI safety guilines which we all radiologist follow, there are four zones in the MRI centre to ensure safety nomrs are followed". The hospital authorities have also handed over the CCTV footage of the incident to the police.

Senior Police Inspector Savalaram Agawane said the hospital employees were detained for questioning on Sunday and arrested by the evening.