Three bodies have been recovered during search and rescue operations for the Pawan Hans Dauphin N2 helicopter which went missing off Mumbai coast on Saturday morning with 7 people on board. We are working towards finding the chopper at the earliest, ' an official of ONGC said.
Sources said the helicopter was on a normal sortie and was supposed to reach the oil rig at Bombay High at 11 am.
No contact could be established after 10.30 AM.
The chopper was airborne at 10:20 am and its last contact with the ATC was at 10:35 am, 30 nautical miles off Mumbai.
Indian Coast Guard said some debris has been found and the search for missing persons is underway.More news: Trump's 'racist' comments condemned
More news: S&P, Dow open higher as bank shares rise
More news: Chris Brown's monkey seized by wildlife agents
The Indian Navy has said that a Seaking 42B helicopter has been launched in addition to the two Immediate Support Vehicles (ISV) and three Coast Guard Units.
The helicopter had been leased to ONGC by the state-owned Pawan Hans helicopter firm.
The navy and coast guard deployed a ship, several boats and aircraft for search and rescue operations.
Following the incident, Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan spoke to Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman.