Chinese rescuers find two bodies on burning oil tanker

Share

The ship has been ablaze for nearly a week since it collided with another vessel on January 6 in the East China Sea and has been drifting into Japanese economic zone over the past several days. After that, the tanker, caught fire, with 32 people on board.

An Iranian oil tanker that has been ablaze for nearly a week after colliding with another vessel in the East China Sea has finally sunk, Chinese state media reports.

The Sanchi, owned by National Iranian Tanker Co, was carrying nearly 1 million barrels of condensate, an ultra-light crude oil, to South Korea. A third body had been recovered earlier in the waters nearby, Press TV said.

The ship later sank, the official news agency Xinhua cited the State Oceanic Administration as saying.

More news: Antonio Conte speaks about Chelsea's chances of signing Alexis Sanchez
More news: Seatown Holdings Pte. Ltd. Cuts Holdings in Amazon.com, Inc
More news: Lakers do not support Luke Walton completely, may be eyeing David Fizdale

The cause of the collision remains unclear.

Two bodies of crew members and the black box were found after four marine salvage workers from the Shanghai Salvage Bureau boarding on oil tanker SANCHI off the coast of Shanghai on January 13, according to the Wechat account of China's Ministry of Transport.

A spokesman for the Iranian rescue team dispatched to Shanghai, told Iran's state broadcaster that information from members of the Crystal crew suggested all the personnel on the Sanchi were killed in the first hour of the accident "due to the explosion and the release of gas". The Hong Kong-based vessel's 21 crew members were evacuated.

Share