Bangladeshi man pleads not guilty in NYC subway bomb attack


When asked by a judge if he had a plea, he responded saying not guilty.

Akayed Ullah appeared in federal court in Lower Manhattan Thursday, a day after he was indicted by a grand jury.

Police stand guard inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal near the scene of an explosion December 11, 2017.

Akayed Ullah was indicted by a jury in the Southern District of NY on six counts, including attempting to provide support to the Islamic State and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, the office said.

A Bangladeshi immigrant accused in the attempted suicide bombing in a New York City subway station last month was indicted Wednesday on federal terrorism charges.

His court-appointed attorney, Amy Gallicchio, did not elaborate on the plea outside court.

More news: China urges Japan to responsibly deal with comfort women issue
More news: Free Radon Test Kits Available For Eligible Residents
More news: China and France strengthen economic ties during Macron visit

Meanwhile, Ullah will seek medical attention inside Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional, where attorneys say that he needs treatment to remove his stitches and replace his dressing.

Prosecutor George Turner said prosecutors had gathered materials for the case including surveillance videos, photos from the crime scene, DNA evidence, statements that Ullah made to officials after his arrest, postings from his social-media accounts, e-mails, MetroCard data, and phone records.

He said he had been inspired by ISIS attacks on Christmas markets in Europe, and was looking to retaliate for USA airstrikes in Syria, according to The New York Times.

The judge said he may set a trial date at the next hearing, which was set for April 13. President Donald Trump and GOP leadership have publicly opposed this policy and have said the practice should be halted as part of any comprehensive immigration reform. The pipe bomb never fully exploded.

Ullah, who immigrated to the United States from Bangladesh in 2011, appeared for a formal arraignment before U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan of the Southern District of NY wearing blue and gray jail scrubs, appearing to move gingerly as he took his seat between his attorneys, Amy Gallicchio and Julia Gatto of the Federal Defenders of NY.